Texas Title to Louisiana Buyer
OUT OF STATE TITLE for NON-NOTARY STATES
Please review all the applicable policies on the Louisiana Department of Public Safety Website for out of state titles at:LA DMV NON-NOTARY – as of 05-04-18.
- Make sure the vehicle title is a NON-NOTARY STATE. As of 05-04-18 this list of Non-Notary states according to the LA DMV website (expresslane.org)
2. If the vehicle is on this list that means that state does not require the title to be notarized BUT there are additional things you need to have.
3. Make sure there a not scratch outs or white out on any documents, if there are you will need to meet with a notary to do a NOTARIZED affidavit of correction. In some situations both the buyer and seller must meet with the notary.
4. Make sure the seller signs the title EXACTLY as their name is printed on the front of the TITLE.
5. Make sure the buyer signs the title EXACTLY as their name is printed on their driver’s license (not how it is signed, how it is typed… example, if your middle initial is on your driver’s license, or middle name, or Jr, or ii, iii, it must match what you put on the title and bill of sale)6. The bill of sale, must include:
a. Buyer and Seller’s signature and printed name (EXACTLY) the same way as was on the title
b. Date of Sale
c. Amount of Sale
d. Vehicle Description, Year, Make, VIN NUMBER
e. Bill of Sale DOES NOT have to be notarized IF you have a copy of the seller’s out of state driver’s license
7. Copy of seller’s OUT OF STATE driver’s license. If the seller has a LOUISIANA driver’s license the DMV will charge the new purchaser a DOUBLE TRANSFER FEE.
8. If the seller does not want to give a copy of their out of state driver’s license, you can either have your bill of sale notarized OUTSIDE OF THE STATE OF LOUISIANA OR the seller can sign a non- residence affidavit in front of a NOTARY and have it notarized.
Please go to the link above and review the current Louisiana Department of Motor Vehicle Regulations. The policies are always changing. We can not guarantee you that policy has not changed. This was updated on 05-05-18!